- This event has passed.
Living in Lockdown – Virtual Event
1 September @ 12:30 pm -2:30 pm
Free webinar | REGISTER
Since the beginning of the lockdown in the Greater Sydney area, community service organisations have reported a huge surge in demand and financial distress among people desperate for support. And while the Federal Government has extended support to some through the Covid Disaster Payment, most people struggling to get by on income support have been excluded. This is despite all of them being restricted from trying to find paid work due to the lockdown.
Community organisations are doing all they can to help, but we urgently need to fix income support arrangements so people on the lowest incomes are not trapped in poverty.
Join the ACOSS, NCOSS and City of Sydney to discuss the impact of lockdowns on people on the lowest incomes. The discussion will feature speakers from local community service organisations, as well as people excluded from the Federal Government’s Covid Disaster Payments, and struggling to get by on the $44 a day JobSeeker rate.
- Dr Cassandra Goldie, CEO, Australian Council of Social Service (Co-Convenor) MC
- Ms Joanna Quilty, CEO, NSW Council of Social Service
- Ms Monica Barone, CEO, City of Sydney
- Uncle Allan Murray, Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council – Welcome to Country
- Ms Katherine McKernan, CEO, Homelessness NSW
- Ms Ashlee Donohue, Mudgin-Gal Aboriginal Women’s Centre
- Ms Frances Rush OAM, CEO, Asylum Seekers’ Centre
- Michael Shreenan, Executive Officer, Counterpoint Community Services
We are committed to providing accessible and inclusive events. Live captioning services will be provided for this event. If you have any access or communication needs, please contact 0418 479 243 and we will be happy to discuss your needs.