19 March 2010
25 – 26 March 2010 | Canberra | Last chance to register
Speakers at the annual ACOSS National Conference will focus on issues affecting low income Australians and the community sector in election year 2010. Despite improving economic conditions, Australians are still experiencing unemployment, homelessness or struggling to make ends meet.
– Senator the Hon. Nick Sherry and the Hon. Sussan Ley MP will discuss tax reform and the forthcoming Henry Tax Review.
– Charles Michalopoulos from Washington think-tank MDRC, on the challenges of long-term unemployment.
– Bob Wyatt, of the Muttart Foundation, Canada, will give an international perspective on the third sector – in the context of the Productivity Commission’s report into the not-for-profit sector.
– Elton Consulting, Macquarie Capital Funds Limited and Queensland Affordable Housing Consortium on solutions to address affordable housing shortages, including private sector investment.
– Population challenges and the implications of a Big Australia for sustainability and the community sector will be a debated by a panel of migration, environmental, demographic and urban planning experts.
– Innovative programs underway in the community sector will be showcased in Celebrating our Sector.
– Views on income management with Senator Rachel Siewert, the Family Responsibilities Commission and Catholic Social Services Australia.
– A panel including the Hon Bill Shorten MP will discuss new approaches for funding disability services.
– Plus more… including a panel debate on equity moderated by Chris Ulhmann, 7.30 Report.
ACOSS NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2010: A VOTE FOR EQUITY
25 – 26 March 2010
Rydges Lakeside Canberra | 1 London Circuit, Canberra, ACT
Program and more information
Media organisations are welcome to attend, please contact: Clare Cameron, ACOSS – 0419 626 155