ACOSS produces effective and influential advocacy for Australia’s disadvantaged people
We have a national reputation for effective and influential advocacy on issues affecting people experiencing poverty and disadvantage.
By drawing on the direct experiences of people affected by poverty and inequality and the expertise of its diverse member base, ACOSS develops and promotes socially and economically responsible public policy and action by government, community and business.
ACOSS also provides policy advice and represents the views of our members and communities to Government, and informs our members about Government policies related to the community services sector.
ACOSS Key Policy Areas
ACOSS leads policy development and advocacy within the community sector on the following policy issues:
- Income Support and Employment
- Economics and Tax
- Housing and Homelessness
- Community sector policy
- Poverty and Inequality
Further policy interests
ACOSS also maintains an active interest in the following policy areas and supports initiatives to address the impacts of policy reform on people experiencing poverty and disadvantage.
- Asylum Seekers and CALD communities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Justice Reinvestment
- Climate change
- Human rights and legal services
ACOSS is active in ensuring the development and sustainability of the community service sector. This includes work on the regulatory framework governing not-for-profit social services; the adequacy of funding; the capacity to attract and retain workers to the sector; and relationships with governments and other funders.
ACOSS also delivers a number of capacity building projects to help support and strengthen community service organisations around Australia. Currently we are delivering the following projects:
- National Emergency Management Program – A project to build the community sector’s preparedness for and resilience to extreme weather events and other disasters.
- Digital Business Kits – A project to support not for profit organisations address gaps in digital knowledge and adopt innovative digital and broadband-enabled platforms to strengthen community service delivery.