In these forums, ACOSS brings together Not-For-Profit media and communications professionals with working journalists, leading experts and researchers for a discussion on issues pertinent to the relationship between Australia’s media and the NGO sector.
The 2015 NGO Media Forum was held in partnership with The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE).
Telling our stories for a more inclusive society covered:
- How grass roots community organisations navigate the new media landscape to tell their stories in positive ways; and
- How civil society is using its own voice to challenge the often negative framing in media discourse about minority groups and building a social movement toward a more inclusive Australia.
Click here to view the 2015 program, presentations, photos and videos
The 2013 NGO Media Forum was held in Adelaide and focused on ‘Election year campaigning: how can our voice be heard?’ Topics covered included:
- What are the important social policy issues we want at the heart of this year’s federal election?
- How can we ensure they are front and centre of election debates?
- How do we get our voices heard?
- And how can we engage people at the grass roots level to be involved in the process and have their voices heard?
Click here to view the 2013 program and presentations.
The 2012 NGO Media Forum was an all-day event held in partnership with the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism at the University of Technology, Sydney.
‘Stories that matter in a changing media landscape’ and focused on key issues affecting the media and communications work of Australia’s not-for-profit sector.
It included several great panel discussions looking at ‘the changing media landscape: new journalism, democracy and civil society’, as well as effective storytelling, campaigning and collaborative efforts.
Click here to view the 2012 NGO Media Forum program, presentations and video.
The inaugural forum was held in Melbourne in 2011 and included presentations from a number of organisations covering topics such as:
- Reporting Social Services: Who really cares?
- Public Interest Journalism: finding new ways to tell stories
- The Emerging Communications Toolkit for NGO’s
- Tips on how N-F-P sector can use social media effectively
- How to run a campaign WEEK on a shoe string budget
Click here to view the full 2011 NGO Media Forum program, presentations and slideshows.