ACOSS in the News | 2009
This page contains links to stories and articles from 2009 that mention ACOSS or relate to our work.
- ALP seats scoop the pool of job funds | Sydney Morning Herald | 10 December 2009
- Parents count cost of reform in child care | The Australian | 5 December 2009
- Income Management | ABC Radio National | Australia Talks | 1 December 2009
- Disadvantaged ‘demonised' in welfare money controls | The Age | 26 November 2009
- Jenny Macklin spells out welfare changes | The Australian | 26 November 2009
- Greens pan income management expansion | ABC TV | 25 November 2009
- ETS to raise costs, but families compensated | ABC Radio National | PM | 25 November 2009
- PM vows no family will be worse off | The Australian | 25 November 2009
- Tax battle may affect advocacy bodies | The Australian | 23 November 2009
- Sole parents need bonus | The Australian | 19 November 2009
- Investors owed duty | Herald Sun | 18 November
- Call for ban on commissions for financial advisers | Sydney Morning Herald | 18 November 2009
- Opinion: Minimising tax a rich man's game | The Age | 16 November
- Big flaws in the tax fix proposals of big business | Sydney Morning Herald | 16 November
- Housing stress getting worse | Australian | 6 November
- Swan flags super tax shake-up | Australian Financial Review | 6 November 2009 (subscription needed)
... The Australian Council of Social Service pushed for an alternative option in a tax reform paper yesterday, which is to abolish the 15 percent contributions tax and tax workers super at the individual's marginal income tax rate ...
- Community work pay push | The Age | 5 November
- Tax review 'must tackle inequalities' | The Australian | 5 November
States to fight for compensation | Australian Financial Review | 5 November (subscription needed)
"... the Australian Council of Social Service said there were inefficient tax expenditures such as the Health Insurance Rebate, Self-Education deductions and the Senior Australians Tax Offset that could be abolished and replaced with direct spending in these areas."
- Don't allow rich to hide | Daily Telegraph | 27 October 2009
- Macklin gets tough on disability pensions | The Australian | 22 October 2009
- Report urges not-for-profit sector reform | Canberra Times | 15 October 2009
- Commission goes into bat for not-for-profit | ABC Radio National The World Today | 15 October 2009
- Young and the jobless | Sun Herald | 11 October 2009
- Jobless drop sign of hope, ACOSS | 8 October 2009
- Australian human rights charter a little closer | Courier Mail | October 08, 2009
- Tax blitz on rich urged | Herald Sun | 5 October 2009
"...The Australian Council of Social Service said trusts should be taxed like companies, or income attributed to the trust controller. "A key part of tax reform should include a crackdown on shelters and loopholes that are exploited by high-income earners," ACOSS chief Clare Martin said. "It's not fair that most people pay tax at their marginal rate while others can dodge the system by channelling income through private trusts.' ..."
- Don't cave in to Coalition, climate lobby warns PM | Sunday Age | 4 October 2009
- Support for services to reduce homelessness | Third Sector Magazine | 26 February
A look at further developments on the Federal Government's priority to reducing homelessness. Community services a ‘lifeline’ for Australians during the downturn | 25 February | Third Sector Magazine
Clare Martin, CEO of the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), commented on the results of the Australian Community Sector Survey 2010, which found a four per cent increase in community services since the previous year.