- Are you passionate about creating social change?
- Are you a critical thinker with a solutions focussed approach?
- Do you want to work in a community organisation that’s leading Australia’s efforts to end HIV
The Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations is looking for a Senior Campaigns and Policy Analyst to influence Australia’s HIV response by developing positions and submissions on issues and driving high-quality campaigns to achieve AFAO’s change agenda. The position plays a critical role in supporting AFAO to achieve its goals of leading Australia’s community response to HIV and advocating for AFAO’s members’ and communities’ interests.
The Senior Campaigns and Policy Analyst reports directly to the Deputy CEO.
Our member organisations represent the diverse communities most affected by HIV – lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intesex communities, sex workers, people who inject drugs, people with HIV and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Our close connections with our communities provide us with rapid intelligence on changes in Australia’s HIV epidemic, allow us to mobilise and respond quickly and to act as a trusted communication channel to government, research and clinical partners.
AFAO works across the Parliament to foster interest, strengthen political support, provide briefings and education about Australia’s response to HIV. We support our members by advocating in forums and government processes, providing a public voice on HIV and formulating positions and submissions and responses as new issues, evidence and technology emerges.
This role is about creating change that improves our national response to HIV and supports Australia to meet its targets in the National HIV Strategy. It includes a strong focus on developing strategy to influence change through political engagement and advocacy. It also draws upon the intelligence, activity and goodwill available within AFAO’s membership and through its networks to formulate positions and coordinate national action on HIV.
Key Skills and Experience
- A proven track record of planning and using diverse influencing strategies to achieve organisational goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal and negotiation skills for achieving results while maintaining important relationships and for representing the organisation.
- Ability to work collaboratively to resolve complex issues, including with stakeholders who may hold differing views and conflicting interests.
- Experience in planning and implementing strategies and campaigns to bring about change.
- Experience in policy consultation, research, analysis and development.
- High-quality written and oral communication skills, including writing for diverse audiences.
- High-quality project, organisational and time management skills, including the capacity to manage concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent judgement to manage and advise on sensitive issues that may involve reputational risk.
- Ability to work well both within a team environment and autonomously.
Tertiary qualifications or equivalent experience in social change, policy or a similar field.
The successful applicant will have an understanding of and commitment to AFAO’s communities.
To apply for this position, please first download a copy of the Position Description. Your application should include a document addressing the skills and experience listed in the Job Description, and your CV including three referees, two of which must be professional. Applications can be submitted to Renee Parker at email@example.com.
This position is full-time and based in Newtown, Sydney.
The position is offered on an ongoing basis.
Applications close: noon, Friday 26 September 2018.